Saturday, December 24, 2005

12/12/05 – 6:39 AM

Time is just speeding by; I didn’t even get a chance to write yesterday.

After lunch with Lynne, I went back to the hotel and spent a couple of hours on Waikiki Beach. It was nice, but after that afternoon at Ko Olina…well, it just pales in comparison. On Friday night, we played golf at Hickam under the lights. I did pretty well—no pars like the other day we played, but I had a couple of good drives. After golf, we went to Anna Millers—the very first restaurant I ever ate at in Hawaii in 1987—and had dinner. It was after 9:00 but there was still a wait for a table. I had a great turkey club sandwich and Kona coffee, and for dessert—coconut custard pie. (Wish I’d gone for the coconut cream, though.) We were exhausted by the time we got back to Waikiki so the four of us said our goodnights and went to our separate hotels.

Yesterday Frank and I went on a road trip to the North Shore, stopping at the Dole Plantation on the way. I decided to live life on the edge (since I’m allergic to fresh pineapple) and tried the pineapple sherbet. No reaction. I put the palm of my hand on a pineapple and waited for the itch. Nothing. I leaned in close and inhaled the fragrance, expecting that familiar itching in my throat. Nothing. I wanted so badly to actually eat a piece of pineapple, but I admit it, I was scared. The last reaction I’d had in Waikiki 17 years ago had been really terrifying. It had felt like my throat was closing up. So I decided not to try it. (But last night I did order a chi chi with fresh pineapple juice—I’m assuming—and I didn’t have a problem.)

We went on to the North Shore, stopping at Weimea Bay, Punaluu Beach and Sunset Beach. The waves were huge, and we saw a bunch of surfers way out. Got some pictures, but I don’t know if they’re any good. We took the long way home, stopping at McDonalds near the Polynesian Cultural Center for lunch, then took the Likelike Highway back to Honolulu. It was only about three when we got back to the hotel, so we went to the beach for a couple of hours. Last night before we met Diana & Jim for dinner, we walked to the International Marketplace and…can you believe it? Didn’t buy a thing.

On the way to the Hale Koa at dusk, we saw a figure walking toward us in a super-skimpy bikini bottom. With a snort of disgust, Frank mutters, "Here comes Mr. Tarzan." But as the person got closer, we realized that it wasn't a "mister." HolyCow!!!! It was a woman walking down a busy avenue in Waikiki wearing only a skimpy bikini bottom. Okay, she wasn't big breasted, but she definitely had breasts. And she was happily displaying them for the world to see. For a minute, I thought I was back in Italy or Greece. We could barely believe our eyes. So...I know there is a story there...(someone swiped her top as she was sunning on the beach?)...but we'll never know what it was. (Topless woman, if you're out there somewhere, please e-mail me and tell me your story.) Oh, and sorry, guys...I didn't get a picture.

The four of us went to Fisherman’s Wharf for dinner, and it was good, but not as good as I remembered. The mahi mahi was mediocre. The restaurant itself wasn’t as elegant as it used to be—almost a little rundown, and I felt a little cheated. Hope we have better luck tonight.

Our plans today are to meet Diana & Jim at the Hale Koa for brunch, then go turn in our rental car, stop at the Navy Exchange to return one of my dresses, then go to Ko Olina for the afternoon.

Our time is winding down here. Diana & Jim leave on Monday night, and we leave on Wednesday. Only three more days. :(


Post a Comment

<< Home